Hi my name is…, hey! , how are you? Good morning! Hello..These are just some of the word’s we use to start a conversation or in short communicate, in this article I want to share how communication works in order to understand the importance of dialogue, working in a BPO industry for quite sometime is one of my greatest training in terms of communicating, it has been a challenge of mine since I am “Introvert at times” but I have to modify myself with the industry, one of my communication coaches use to tell me that effective communication is received by the listeners and is understood in the way you intend to, and the first question that pops up in my head was “how do I do that? ” I am not even a politician or a public speaker for one, I did not realize what my coach was saying until I had my first call in production floor, my client was upset because of the extra charge on her bill, I can hear her shouting and cursing me at times, I closed my eyes breathe in and out then smiled, I told myself “this is it! I need to practice what I have learned in training” but I have a problem since I was nervous my mind was going blank and all of the support teams were busy with my other colleagues, “oh no!, what to do next? How do I pacify the client?” and that’s it! I need to communicate well so that I can address my clients concern, the call ended 45 minutes after and A so called “WOW Call” (commendation from the client) was given to me. Not bad for a first timer right?!…
And your next question while reading this would be… let me guess… “How did you do that?”
if I am right then continue reading this, there are two things that I was telling myself amidst the battle:
1)This client should be able to understand what I am saying
“If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough”. -Albert Einstein
- It is not that I want to impress my client, I just want to have clarity (make it simple) I used simple words and made my explanation brief but straight to the point, I did not use jargons.
- Try to check your clarity with the younger one’s (best example: elementary kids) If you can make the child understand your message or explanation then you have mastered the key.
2) This client should feel what I feel
“Courteous treatment will make a customer a walking advertisement.” ~ James Cash Penney, Founder J.C. Penney Stores
- It is the “compassion” you want to provide, making them feel like you have known them for a long time and you are concerned about what is going on, you have to touch them in the heart
- Saturate yourself with feelings that you transmit with your words
I believe that when you have comprehend these two pointers most probably you can ace any types of communication, may it be at work or personal epilogue, remember that
Clarity and Connection can unleash your communication potential
“A speaker transmits a message and must ensure that the message is delivered clearly. A listener takes delivery of the message and must be an active listener.Effective communication takes place only when the listener clearly understands the message that the speaker intended to send.”